17.10.12

Faithful

Happy Wednesday everyone ! I pray that all is well with you and that you are daily growing in grace and love in the Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. May this posting be an encouragement to you and lead us to corporately sing the praises of the God !

Since moving to Orange County California God has put through trial after trial. In fact, I don't believe that I've ever experienced so many trials, of such intensity, in such a short period of time ! Yet more than ever I am convinced that God wants me here right now doing what I'm doing. 

Living situations, job, education, vehicle, finances and living in an American big city have stretched me beyond myself. I have had roommates and flatmates before but they have never been such a test of my patience as they have in California. Different lifestyles, maturity levels, moral standards, degree of responsibility, hygiene and spiritual need etc. have pushed my limits and beyond. In 13 years of work, I have never been around so many different people, cultures, poor work ethic, negativity, drama and need in the workplace. It is truly eye opening. June 9th I moved here and by last Wednesday I had moved for the fourth time in as many months. Uncertainty, stress, frustration, anger, helplessness are just some of the emotions I've felt through it all. My '93 Subaru Legacy brought me out here without a problem. Besides having no air-conditioning and many quirks and defects, or let's say character, it has served my needs. However in the last two weeks it has been having a serious problem and I am in weak position to do anything about it. Besides all of that, I am occupied with 9 units of masters studies at BIOLA, French tutoring, representing WorldVenture on the university campus, English language help for a Korean student and church.

But God... God is faithful. I feel like Job, except so much better, in that one large trial follows another or sometimes that they just stack on top of each other. Joseph was responsible and yet continued to find himself disadvantaged and suffering injustice as I have felt. Like Christ, I have had in a sense, nowhere to lay my head. But by the grace of God I, like Paul, am learning "to be content in whatever circumstances I am" (Philippians 4:11) "considering it pure joy to face trials of many kinds, because I know that the testing of my faith produces endurance. And when endurance has finished its work I will be mature and complete not lacking anything" (James 1:2-4). In the power that God supplies I "seek first His kingdom and His righteousness," knowing that He will supply all my needs (Matthew 6:32-34). For God "is able to do far more abundantly than all that we ask or imagine" (Ephesians 3:20) ! Even though I grow weary and tired in life and I stumble badly, I wait on The Lord and gain new strength; I can mount up on wings like eagles, I can run and not become tired, I can walk and not become weary (Isaiah 40:28-31). So "the God of hope fills me with all joy and peace in believing, so that I can abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit" (Romans 15:13).

At the end of September I moved my things into a storage unit and began sleeping at the office of someone from church. Thank you Edwin for your hospitality and selflessness ! Initially I thought I would be there for one month but nearly a week into it I received a call telling me that I could move into the house (which I call Faithful) early, as the previous renters had moved out early. It has been one week since I moved and I want to profusely thank Robert and Jean Marble for their generosity and hospitality ! Now I am waiting to see what God will do with my car. It has been shifting gears without needing to and dies sometimes when put into drive so I am considering my options : fixing it (which may cost more that the car is worth), buying a used vehicle (which I don't have the money for), or leasing (which I may not have the money for the downpayment and/or the monthly payment). Please pray with me about this. Lastly the person I'm helping with English and his wife have essentially taken me in : they feed me, let me study at their place, hang out with me etc. Thank you Jungku and Sue !

Praises : 1. Trials 2. God's faithfulness 3. Hope in God 4. A place to sleep between housing 5. Early move in 6. Jungku and Sue : a family away from family

Prayer : 1. Wisdom about the car situation 2. To be faithful in my studies and leave the rest in God's hands 3. Wisdom and discernment in managing resources well 4. Encouragement 5. Victory in it all through Christ

2 comments:

  1. Carla Anderson19/10/12 00:23

    Wow! An adventure! Thanks for updating, Seth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Keep trusting Seth. I found this paraphrase of Isaiah 66:9 recently and posted it to remind myself that God brings good out of suffering.
    "God doesn't allow pain unless He's allowing something new to be born."
    Thanks for the update.
    We care,
    Judy & Larry

    ReplyDelete