29.5.13

Spiced Up

Semester number two : done !

French people do not generally prefer spicy foods as other nationalities do, but I have certainly experienced une année piquante (a spicy year) here in Southern California. It has flown by and thanks to the grace of God and your faithful prayers, it has also gone very well. God allowed me to go through many trials, yet by His faithfulness all things have worked for good and His glory. Two tough semesters have passed, but they finished well. And still, things are about to get spicier !

After prayer and meditation, I have decided to go on a mission trip to the Punjab, India with my church at the end of the summer : 9 July- 7 August. This area of India is filled with unengaged, unreached people groups (UUPG). Whereas the Gospel is available to nearly everyone in the U.S. and in France, it has never been heard by many in the villages within the state of Punjab ! For those communities that are fortunate enough to have heard it, there often exists no ministry team, indigenous or otherwise, that is engaged in evangelism and church planting. This is a UUPG. 

The purpose of the trip will be primarily evangelism, equipping, and encouragement. Our team currently consists of a pastor, me, and two ladies currently living in Korea. With the help of local pastors, we will be trekking from village to village sharing the gospel and encouraging brothers and sisters in Christ along the way. Instead of providing financial aide or materials to the nationals, our method of equipment is that of empowerment. The former creates dependance and the latter fosters independence. Using local believers will ensure that ministry can continue beyond the termination of the mission trip, as well as empower them to develop the ministry and make disciples rather than depend upon outside help. 

Following the trip, we will have a few days layover in Korea which I also eagerly anticipate. Many of you know that I currently attend the English ministry at a Korean church. Despite being in America and being composed of mainly second generation Korean-Americans, there is a strong Korean influence. Experiencing first hand the country that engendered that culture will give me much better insight to the my church and its people, how to communicate and relate best with them, and where my place is within the Grace Korean church body. Ultimately, I hope and pray that I can become a fully integrated member culturally and personally, thereby more effectively serving God's Kingdom !

By now you are likely asking, "Mission trips are great, but why not France ?" Good question ! Originally I wanted to participate in an Asian mission trip since I have never been to Asia. As an intercultural worker and missionary, it is very important to understand many different cultures and I have never been to Asia. The Cambodia trip was a great first choice as both in the Asian context and a former French colonie. However, God closed that door. While praying about the other trips, India popped out at me. For some time, India has held a particular place in my curiosity and interest. So what better way to see if this is of God or just a flight of fancy than to serve Him short-term there. 

The question I now would have you ask yourself is, "What part would God have me play in Seth's mission trip ?" The total cost is around $2,500, 80% being airfare. I plan on raising funds by selling produce from my garden at church, so please pray for a bountiful harvest ! Nevertheless, I will still need additional funding. Would you pray about contributing financially ? To arrive at the total I need : 10 people to give $10, 15 to give $25, 10 at $50, 8 at $75, 6 at $100, and 2 at $200. If this is you, please make your check payable to GMI-EM (Grace Ministries International-English Ministry) and send them to me at :
15105 Cheshire St. 
La Mirada, CA 90638
USA
More importantly, I and the team need your prayers ! I am looking for 20 faithful prayer warriors who would take me, the team, our needs, and those we will be serving before the throne of God from now until August 7th. Is this you ? Please email me and let me know :)

Prayer : 1. Spiritual preparedness of team and people we will serve 2. 20 prayer partners 3. A bountiful harvest from my garden 4. Financial partners 5. Understand where India stands in God's will for my life

Praise : 1. The opportunity to serve God internationally with my church 2. The chance to understand the Asian context better 3. A garden that I can raise funds from 4. God's faithfulness to provide 5. A great team (whoever they are, haha) :) !






No comments:

Post a Comment